Stranger ?

I was disturbed, it was beginning to get on my nerve. It was one of those days when you badly want someone to speak to. I saw my mobile lying around the corner, picked it up hastily and was checking numbers on the directory. I began talking to ….

‘Hey, how’re you pal? What’s happening?’

‘Yeah, your call had me awake, I’ve been asleep a long time I guess’

‘Hmm… must’ve been a tiring day for you’

'Trying day rather'

‘Yes, your voice sounds shaky, Is everything alright?’

‘Yes, everything is fine, I just felt like talking’

‘Come on, I know you far too well, why do you hesitate to tell me?’

‘Um, I went through a pretty strange experience yesterday, met a person and he… he blurred out’

‘Blurred? Do you remember what exactly happened?’

‘Yes, I can remember every bit of it. It was 1:01 AM, and I badly needed a break from the cluttered code. I went straight to the coffee machine, helped myself with a cup of coffee’

‘Hmm Hmm’

‘No, Tea. Yeah… right… I took a cup of tea… ’

‘Okay…and…’

‘And I walked down the stairs to reach the smoking area, it was more than an hour I smoked a cig’

‘Was there someone with you?’

‘No’

‘Are you sure? Think… ‘

‘It seemed so, but no one was actually there.’

‘Seemed so? You mean you weren’t sure if there was really someone with you?’

‘Yeah… I know how absurd I sound. I was sure there was someone around, but I couldn’t see anybody - Maybe I just chose to ignore. I was feeling a bit paranoid. Sometimes you feel that way, you feel being watched, being stalked.’

‘Go on…’

‘From a few metres away, I could see someone sitting on the park bench in the smoking area. I felt better, safer (Relieved). I was just a metre away from the guy, he looked very familiar. For a moment I was very sure that I knew him’

‘Can you remember who he was?’

‘No, I thought I knew him, I didn’t know his name. He just looked very familiar and he was actually waiting for someone so that he can light his cigarette. I offered my shiny steel Zippo. I got a glimpse of his face when he clicked the Zippo and I was even more convinced that I knew him. He shot back with a ‘Thanks’ and got back into his thoughts’

‘Did you ask him whether he knew you? Or did you speak to him?’

‘Yeah, I did. I was already feeling lonely and was buckled up with some goddamn piece of code. He looked interesting indeed, and we got into a bit of conversation, ’

‘Anything specific?’

‘Hmmm, was asking him about his work and he wasn’t interested to speak about work’

‘And…’

‘I told him its a nice shirt, You know that I like olive green’

‘Yeah, you have always liked green. What did he say?’

‘He gave me a faint look as if I were talking to myself’

‘Maybe you weren’t loud enough and mumbling to yourself, Did you try to get the conversation going?’

‘Yeah, he was trying to whistle a tune. I asked him if he was trying Floyd’s ‘comfortably numb’’

‘Hmm...’

‘Now I could see a gleaming response, maybe he was interested after he knew that I too liked the song he was trying to whistle’

‘I see… go on’

‘Was telling him that I was a Floyd fanatic, and he was listening. We talked about the Live 8 concert and about ‘The Wall’, where the whole band wanted to play the entire show behind a huge monster wall’

‘Hmm Hmm’

‘His cigarette slipped from his fingers, I tried to tap that off and it had already burnt a hole on his pocket’

‘Oh!’

‘And he was trying to wipe it off from …’

‘Hey, am getting a call, will get back to you soon - I want to talk about this’

I realized that the phone has been ringing in my ears for quite some time; I wasn’t in a mood to pick up and answer. I canceled the call, threw my mobile on my couch and lay down. The green shirt hung on the door, looked really ugly with the cigarette burn.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • May 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM
    fukn psychedelic/psychic ken..
    i mean ya switch roles so seamlessly that one has to read twice n think thrice to get the partial import n play in the mind ten times before it really hits ya!..

    the guy was you all along, the guy who loitered, the guy who sat smoking, the guy you were talkin to on the phone, teh guy calling you- mutiple skins/multiple shades/muliple personas. yOU'RE Split-sexcee with what you write!!

    truly enjoyed it..

    p.s.:
    1.do ya know green's in! 'go olive green':) bad tat the hole burned through though!
    2. i've 2 stories written in :) do chip in when ya have the time :) root 4 me ken!
  • August 1, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    interesting one;-)
  • Ravi said...
    October 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    this was a wonderful one.. enjoyed it very much
  • Chikku said...
    April 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Wow! Brilliant.. It was like watching Fight Club! :D

Post a Comment